WHAT IS THE MASTERS OF MACABRE CHALLENGE?
An opportunity for male horror writers, published and unpublished, to strut their stuff! You write and record your own scary story, we post it on the internationally famous HorrorAddicts.net site and let the listeners vote for the best one. The winner receives a host of prizes, most importantly the coveted “Master of Macabre” title and the privilege of organizing next year’s MoM Challenge. You can listen to last year’s stories here.
This year’s Challenge will lure us into the dark domain of malicious hexes and inescapable afflictions. Contestants will be tasked with telling stories inspired by famous, or once-famous, curses from around the world. The real curse will be on us listeners who have to choose a winner. Woe is us!
- Entries will be accepted until April 11, 2012.
- Each entrant will be assigned a curse from somewhere in the world. Look here for an idea of the kinds of curses we might give you.
- The entrant is to write a story of 1500-3500 words in which the assigned curse plays a central role. Stories should explain the curse for listeners who have never heard of it, but should not be merely a re-telling of the original story.
- The entrant records the story. Horror Addicts will not provide readers this year. If you need help recording your story, the MoM group on Facebook is a great place to ask questions. Audio will be due in mp3 format on May 11, 2012. After your story, you may tell listeners how they can find more of your writing.
June 30, 2012: contest airs and voting starts
July 27, 2012: voting ends
August 25, 2012: winner announced on HorrorAddicts.net podcast
HOW TO ENTER
1. Send the following information in the body of an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skype name (if you have one)
Websites and blogs (if you have any)
You will receive a brief contract for your perusal.
2. Return contract, a short bio (50 words or less) for our website, and your headshot to email@example.com.
3. Shaunessy Ashdown, the current Master of Macabre, will assign you your curse (but not curse you) and you can get writing!
Who will be the next Master of Macabre?